HeffBombs

Calling out the Right, Republicans and other jerks in politics

American Horror Story

with one comment

If not for the enviable intransigence of the republicans – no tax increases of any form under any circumstances – some influential Democrats would have our country more closely resembling post-austerity Greece than the America we love today.

The Debt Reduction Super-Committee (the “Sup-Com“) was mandated as part of the infamous 2011 Debt Ceiling budget compromise…from HELL!  You remember, where in exchange for 100% spending cuts, Obama and the Democrats got…nothing.

So, the Sup-Com is trying to shave a minimum of $1.2 trillion from the federal deficit over the next 10 years.  So noble, right?  And both parties are working together in the spirit of bipartisanship and good faith to-

Oh, right.

Republicans have drawn their line in the sand on taxes.  Democrats are testing how close they can come to that line, without establishing one of their own.  The latest “compromise” (again, this term has been redefined, meaning one side gets about 99% of what they want, the other side gets 1%) from the Democrats on the Sup-Com, going against the opinion of the vast majority of the entire country:  make tax cuts for the wealthy PERMANENT.  A classic Democratic fallback, no?  Because, if the rich can’t save us, who can?

The previous “compromise” offer was nothing short of brutal either.  Hearken back, if you will, to the National Committee on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, established via Executive Order by Obama in 2010 to address the budget deficit.  Not surprisingly, this group couldn’t agree on a series of recommendations, with Democrats pleading a mixture of targeted spending cuts and revenue increases, and republicans pushing for America as pre-revolution France.  Co-chairs (moderate Democrat) Erskine Bowles and former (conservative republican) Senator Alan Simpson (who likes to refer to recipients of social security as “lesser people“) finally decided to release their own set of proposals, generally considered as favoring the conservative viewpoint (i.e., big social safety net cuts coupled with tax cuts are our ticket to prosperity!).   Fast forward, and the Democrats’ last “compromise” plan fell significantly to the right of these fantastic ideas, with a 6-1 ratio of spending cuts to revenue increases, including medicare benefit cuts to individuals with incomes of $12,000 to $15,000 per year.

So, I have to ask again, as I’ve asked many times.  What is the strategy?  Sacrifice all Democratic gains at the expense of accomplishing something, when that something is an acceptance that eliminating job-training programs and cutting taxes for billionaires is the key to America’s success?  What is the remaining Democratic platform (“We’re not quite as far to the right as the republicans!!!”)?  If I’m off-base, why isn’t there a coordinated, 24×7 media campaign calling out republican bullshit? THEY ARE WRONG!

Its painful.  And in some perverse way, by continually saying no to what could only be a significant conservative victory, by only accepting our-way-or-the-highway, the republicans are actually helping the cause.

I say, let the committee fail.  Let the prospect of massive cuts to the defense budget loom large.  Then lets see what republicans are willing to offer when the health of the military-industrial complex is on the line.

UPDATE 1:  Lets punt!!!  Compromise is always easier next year.

Advertisements

Written by D. Heffernan

November 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I love your point of pre-revolution France. A bit of a hint I think. At some point the supper rich are going to regret their utter stupidity. Plus another point if they succeed in out sourcing all the jobs to third world countries. Which is what they do when they get tax cuts or a nice tax holiday. Who is going to bye their products? I mean if you destroy your domestic market and probably the domestic market of all other countries. Where are your buyers and how do you expect a mass slave class, either through buying CIA controlled drugs or increased tax burden, with little or no wages, to afford the trillions of dollars it tacks to run the supper rich Americans empire. At some point they won’t be able to afford their goons. Oops.

    Nicholas Smurthwaite

    November 18, 2011 at 12:06 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: